Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Thinking Back Tuesdays My Story #2

Continued from last Tuesday...

                                                 Grandma Rose's Story


When I was a little girl I was very calm most of the time. I could be a silly little thing making jokes and giggles laughing so hard at it all. I remember going to bed and this was up until I was eight years old,  dreaming away in full color and remembering every detail as if I was actually there. One of my dreams was I would float higher and higher looking down on the world.

Another dream I used to have on a regular basis was my father, mother and me driving in a jungle at top speed with a dinosaur right be-hide us and it crashing through the window dragging my mother out of the car. Weird.

Another one was about getting lost. I would be shopping and I remember in my dream picking up some pants thinking to myself how real they felt. Then I would be in a horseshoe type apartment complex on the walkway and my mother was gone and I was all alone.

I loved my dreams about flying it was so fun! These dreams were on replay most of my childhood. In fact, when I lived in Waterboro, Maine your Daddy was 2 or 3 years old and he was having bad dreams. He came to me one night and told me he didn't want to go to bed because he was having bad dreams so being the awesome Mommy that I was I did a chant which I repeated as he got a little older.

The chant went something like this. While I was whirling around and around with my arms outstretched I would chant: “Bad dreams bad dreams go away...repeat...Go away to the moon”! Which then I would make a sweeping motion with my arms as if gathering up all the bad dream vibes and tossing them into the air. It got a little tricky me being so clumsy, but I pulled it off.

Our local Elementary School was from Kindergarten to the 6th grade. All I remember about Kindergarten is gram crackers & milk and laying down to rest on a mat.  I remember hanging upside down when I was in 4th  grade falling flat on my back knocking the wind right out of me, playing RingaRoundtheRosie and writing Mike in the sand with the toe of my shoe. Guess I started liking boys at a tender age!

I also started singing in the 6th grade which I took all the way to the 12th grade. I'm telling you nowadays it's a lot better with hot lunches. No soggy tuna sandwiches or warm baloney...gross! And no warm smelly milk jugs. Lunch was not a fun time!

I loved to run and I was fast although I'd fall down hence the scars on my knees. I remember this boy. I was with a bunch of school girls and the boys were across the field and one threw a rock hitting me. I was very angry about that and, later on, that day at next recess I spotted him. That's when my white saddle shoes came in handy which I hated with a passion. Without thinking, I snuck up behind him and kicked him as hard as I could in the ankle almost dropping him to the ground. He never bothered me again.

I have always been a loner as a kid and later as a teenager. Nothing like I am now. I would hook up with one friend and tolerate the others. This one girl I became friends with the friendship started out  in the school yard. I had grabbed her sweater from her and we were racing around the school yard, but I could run circles around her. There was this Volley Board which I loved playing on and as we were running around it I tossed up her sweater and lo and behold it draped right over the top...opps!

 Needless to say, I got in trouble for that one with the janitor having to get a ladder to get her sweater! We became friends after that. The family was Mormons. All the houses in the Dream Homes were one of two models so being in a friend's house was almost like being at home minus the yelling. There were 3 girls and 1 boy and I practically lived over there. I remember sitting down and having one of the sisters brush my hair for hours and talking the night away. As life went on we lost touch only to touch base with each other after 30 years. All because of Facebook.

To be continued next Tuesday....

No comments: