Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Thinking Back Tuesdays



Two more days 'till Saint Patrick's Day. That's the only time I tolerate bright green but I love the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Takes me back to those horrible, wonderful childhood memories of wearing something green or you were in danger of being pinched. Which I did not like unless it was the cute boy I currently had a crush on. And the gold coin candies, those were good.


This story I have told over and over again as my kids were growing up for as in all places and times there will be bullies. Or mean kids. Those kids learned to steer clear of my sweet self.

Now this tall boy was celebrating St. Paddy's Day all week at my Jr. High School. He was, at least, six feet tall. I would see him walking down the hall what looked like he was pinching someone, mostly the girls, they would jump and yelp so I thought nothing of it. Turns out he was sticking people with a safety pin. And guess who he stuck...you got it...me.

Now being stuck with a safety pin poses a problem, mainly lots of pain that don't go away too soon. He would also play leap-frog over the girls heads and finally I had enough of this jerk.

My mother was into all kinds of crafts. Needlepoint, Sewing, Latch Hook, are you getting the picture now? In the early school hours, I would get dressed and eat breakfast alone which was fine with me. This particular morning my mother's darning bag was right next to her chair where she had left it the night before.

It was Saint Patrick's Day with the pot of gold being two darning needles. With a half grin and gleaming eyes, I reached in and brought out a huge darning needle.  I put it in my purse and off to school I went.

Sure enough, when I arrived at school getting off the bus I spotted the tall boy. The bell rang and first class began. Class time seemed to slow down finally with the bell ringing. As students poured out into the school's hallway I saw Mr. Bully leapfrogging and sticking the girls, why no one turned him in I have no idea but I was the same liking to handle things myself.

As he got closer he spotted me. I could tell what was on his mind as he drew closer I whipped out my mother's huge darning needle telling him go ahead and try jerk. The kids around me starting laughing as he backed away muttering I don't want any trouble man. I was the hero for the morning, he never stuck anyone again.

Bullies come in all shapes and forms. I was lucky that day this one backed off. I don't know why for I was such an angel but that day he saw my horns.

Were you ever bullied as a child?



100 Exquisite Adjectives by Mark Nichol

I love learning new words or being reintroduced to one. I ran across a list of them and will add a word a day.

Word#38 Heuristic: learning through trial-and-error or problem-solving

In a sentence: Doubtless what we have been in the main a reflex of the heuristic character of Aristotle's own work as a pioneer.


No comments: