Monday, May 23, 2016

Monday Memories #9 #FixThePlus

Continued from last Monday...

I needed a date to the Prom. Thanks to the diligence of my wonderful friends a boy was singled out. Poor guy didn't know what hit him! He was 6 feet tall with black longish hair, wore jeans & black T-shirts and had a set for seven days a week. We met and a few weeks later became a couple and then lovers, I was one month away from turning eighteen. 

 I loved his mother and we would go to his house after school and she would cook hamburgers for us after school. Between that and a roadside restaurant which served up the greatest burger and fries I would gain a few pounds then have to starve myself to lose the extra pounds. Been that way all my life with the yo-yo dieting. We had a great time together but unfortunately it just didn't work out, but I did make it to my Prom which we left early. I discovered the Prom wasn't all that great.

It's funny when you think a part of your life is over as far as your concerned but he has found me again after thirty some odd years which totally blew me away. Found my brother Chris also and talked to both on the phone, not at the same time. It felt like time had stopped rewinding itself. The Internet and Facebook can be wonderful thing.

Mexico is the best place in the world. Or one of the best places. My family and I must have gone at least twenty times maybe more. As an adult now I know why “one piece of baloney” and “one glass of milk at night with dinner” etc. was for going on vacations. It would have been nice to be told this! But again that’s why I insisted on any kids I had we would communicate. Sometimes loudly but communicating either way.

Going through customs at the border you are already getting the feel of Mexico flavor. We actually had our car stripped once which I watched with great interest. The border police were looking for contraband. 

You drive through dusty streets with vendors in the streets selling giant powdery treats for a quarter calling out their wares. Little kids are surrounding you yelling “por favor” with their little dirty brown hands stretched out pleading for money. I had been warned three things...DON'T DRINK THE WATER...DON'T GIVE CHANGE TO THE LITTLE BEGGARS...and whatever you do DON'T EAT TACOS from a street vendor it could be a ~shudder~ dog. Which of course to the teenage lover of dogs grossed me right out.

I loved the shops with the smiling vendors; it was like a covered Flea Market with Mexican shawls, shoes, toys, etc all hanging all around you. I loved it. I vaguely remember staying in a hotel once and it wasn't a very good experience with a broken A.C. and the room was filthy. When we went the next time we had a camper. I loved riding on the top bunk in that camper. I would always pass out and later when my little brother Christopher came along when he got older we would ride up bunk together giggling and laughing.

I remember meeting a young girl my age and her introducing me to my first papaya walking along the beach line not being able to speak each others language but still laughing and smiling. It was so pretty with blue skies and the water was so warm like bath water. We would run in and out at will.


Snorkeling was a lot of fun. I remember one time my cousins came with us and me and Mark, my cousin, decided to snorkel. It was a gorgeous day with a blue sky, the warm water, wetting my mask I put the plastic mouthpiece to breath in my mouth, looking at my cousin doing the same, we sunk into the water and started swimming wearing the fins my parents had bought. I loved them pushing me through the water so much faster than bare feet. 

We swam up to a giant coral hill and started circling it and a bunch of small colorful fish came swimming by which I thought was just amazing. I went to touch the cool and felt stinging on my fingers then they started bleeding. My daredevil cousin made me get out of the water and onto the beach so the blood wouldn't attract sharks. I sure miss him. That's when my cousin was alive may he RIP...

...to be continued next Monday 

Do you like my story so far?

No comments: