Saturday, October 31, 2015

As Promised, Marriages and Cemeterys

As promised I am going to tell you the story of a marriage in a cemetery. That would be MY marriage. I have always loved magic and the mystical, the supernatural and paranormal.All things that go "bump" in the night.

I also LOVE cemeteries. There is a cemetery in Sandford, Maine that I used to go to just to hang out. I would go through the pillars at the front entrance, over the bridge that was over a big pond with a stream going through the cemetery.

I would go to the back to collect plastic flowers and ribbons that were cleared out and ready to go to the dump. Take the stuff home, clean it up, and make vases. Of course, you get mixed reactions about said activities but I stuck to a cemetery is a resting place full of love. What's the problem?

In fact when I went to Boston, Mass. I went to the cemetery that has Paul Bunyon buried in it amongst settlers killed in Indian raids. The smallest of graves always make me a little sad.

Throw in my love for all things Halloween I decided I wanted to get married in a cemetery. Being the lucky woman that I am the man I fell in love with was all for it.

Since my kids live in Florida I gave up on the idea of having my son give me away and my daughter being my maid of honor. That made me sad for a long time until I folded sadness all up in a neat bundle and put it away deep in my mind.

My husband's family is from Vermont. They have had to deal with great tragedy with his sister passing away at the age of 10 years old and his father dying of cancer in his 40's. At the Passumsic Cemetary, they are buried next to each other.

I liked the idea of them being there in spirit and the cemetery itself is beautiful. It was a small wedding with his mother and step-father, half-sister and husband. After we had a bar-b-cue for our reception and we are "still" on our honeymoon.

Sheryl & Chuck
I'd love to hear if anyone else has had a non-traditional wedding and where?
Chuck's sister
Chuck's Dad

No comments: